skip to main content Text Size: Normal Big Bigger Biggest

The Lodges

There were originally six lodges associated with the Great Barr Hall Estate—three were demolished long ago. They all stood at the head of carriageways leading to Great Barr Hall. The occupants were estate employees who, with their spouses, were expected to act as gatekeepers

Handsworth Lodge

Still in place at the head of Handsworth Drive, the main entrance to the estate for visitors from the Birmingham area.


Queslett Lodge

This was originally sited opposite the old sand and gravel works near Asda supermarket. A twin to Walsall (Shustoke) Lodge.

Beacon Lodge

In Beacon Road. This was positioned very close to where the Cat and Fiddle public house is currently located.

(Photograph provided by Peter Allen))

Church and Avenue Lodges

There were originally two lodges on either side of Chapel Lane. Church Lodge, shown in the foreground, was the most ornate of the lodges, but was sacrificed to a road-widening scheme. It has been suggested a new lodge could be built close to the same position as part of the restoration of the estate. In the background is Avenue Lodge, at the head of Merrions Wood, which remains as a private residence. (Photograph provided by Peter Allen)

(Photograph provided by Peter Allen))

Walsall Lodge

Walsall Lodge, also known as Shustoke Lodge, is situated on the Birmingham Road at the entrance to Merrions Wood. It is now known as Merrions Wood Lodge. The property is Grade II listed and was designed by architect Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1858. The carriageway through Merrions Wood leads to Avenue Lodge on Chapel Lane. (Photograph provided by Peter Allen)

(Photograph provided by Peter Allen)

Please send any contributions to: